Monday, June 4, 2012

Detail Work - Refinishing the Grill and License Plate Lights.

Like I've said in other posts, getting the details right really makes the difference between a nice car and a so-so car. They make the car look better to others and make it feel better to the owner. Plus, much detailing work does not need to cost much - It just takes elbow grease.

So, I was looking over the car's electricals. Most everything works and works well. I noticed the other day however that the license plate lights were no good.

I pulled the assemblies from the car and it was no wonder they did not work well. They were solid dirt!

Here is a picture of both. One which has been washed in warm dish soap, and then polished with Mcguiars plastic polish, and the other which is untouched.
I also spent some time with my favorite LBC wiring tool. A stainless brush on the end of a Dremel tool makes fast work of cleaning up the connections that Lucas originally made for us. The results are great!

The other work I managed to sneak in this weekend between poopy diapers and Disney movies was pulling the grill and detailing it. I pulled the grill itself, then polished the stainless edge at the top and bottom with Simichrome polish in 0000 steel wool. The results again were great. I did the same with the front emblem.
I then dug into the alloy rail which goes across the front of the grill with some fine Scotchbrite pads in warm soapy water. Again the rail cleaned up beautifully and really sets the grill off.

After all the cleaning, I pulled the bottom trim piece and after sanding the painted areas down, I laid a nice even coat of semi gloss black on both the grill and the trim piece. Gotta get a picture of the completed assembly to put up here!


No comments:

Post a Comment