Saturday, April 21, 2012

Not quite there yet.....

So, we're back from Disney. The kids had fun, but I've had enough of the crowds and the running around!

As soon as I was back, I convinced my wife to dive into the braked with me and bleed them. Unfortunately, I had a continual stream of bubbles in the system. This happened with the rear brakes and the front brakes as well. I dropped it off the stands, but the brakes were terribly soft. At that point it was time to figure out the cause of the bubbles.

I checked all the connections and found none loose. However, there was a little brake fluid under the PDWA. Not a good sign. I tightened the connections and wiped up the mess. Afterwards, I decided to check the bleed valves and the passenger side front valve stripped!!!! All of a sudden, I had fluid pouring out on the floor. In a moment of creativity, I plugged the bleed kit on it and just let it run.



After that, I called it a night.

The next morning, I came out and sure enough, the system emptied itself into the bleed canister. I did some research and found that the bleed screw for my car (16PB calipers) is a M10x1.0 bleed screw. I also found them available at Autozone, so this morning I picked one up. Its a good fit, and the caliper does not seem to be terribly stripped.

Next up, I topped up the resevoir and promply found more fluid under the PDWA. The source was in fact the PDWA itself. The seals on the piston have apparently given up. I don't have a PDWA repair kit, so I plugged the PDWA. This is an ok way of handling the problem in the short term (the brake warning light did not work anyway), but I will order a kit in my next parts order.

Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll get my wife back in the garage for a bit and get the brakes bled and my '73 back on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment