Tuesday, March 24, 2015

TR6 Dash Refinish and Dash Pad Replacement -- Part 2

To replace my top dash pad, I had to first remove my dash panel. I had done this as part of the dash refinishing, so that was out of the way. The second step was to remove the windshield frame. This was a bigger problem.

The real reason that the first dash top pad (which we replaced in 1991) peeled loose is that we were unable to remove the windshield frame. Its brackets were rusted absolutely solid. Every attempt at levering, banging, hammering, etc yielded nothing. Eventually, I got one of my neighbors to come over and help yank on it. I eventually ended up getting out my torch and heating the bracket- Heat did the trick! (and I did not set the car on fire).

With the windshield frame out, I was able to peel the old dash pad out easily and install the new one. I did glue the new pad in place. I did not want it peeling up 10 years from now.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment