Sunday, January 18, 2015

TR6 Addco Swaybar Install

My Christmas gift from the wife this year was an Addco SwayBar for the car B) . This is the bar that Lou (lfmtr4) worked on with Addco and arranged in 2013. They do now stock it and when I was finally able to order it during the 1st week of January, they had 5 in stock and mentioned it had been a very good seller.

I'm finally getting to installation, and have the instructions (link below) as well as having looked at every thread on the forum I could find on installation.

addco.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/929.pdf
Like others that installed this bar, I elected to use the cupped washers in between all bushings. I put them in the order as seen, with the big gap at the top being the trailing arm area.

I also had one TA where the large washers fit perfectly (passenger side), whereas the drivers' side I had to cut a little from each side of the washer to get it to fit in between the nubs that are on the bottom side of the casting.
Finally, I also found that I had to cut approximately 1/8" from the rubber spring packing so that the upper large washer would sit in place while also allowing the threads on the end of the link bolt to protrude far enough for the nut to grab while installing the link. (no pics of that...)

For the mounting to the frame, I found that while I had no clearance issues whatsoever with my exhaust system, my frame does have an up curve where the bracket hits, so the bracket would not sit flat. The kit came with a 1/4" flat plate to mount the bracket to. I assume it acts as a spacer as well, so I elected to take two large washers and space the rear of the bracket with them. I used my angle grinder to grind one of the washers to a taper to match the curve of the frame so that the plate would remain flat without any bind. (washers came from the junk pile, so they already have crud on them that matches the frame :laugh: )
This thing simply corners much better/harder than before, and harder than any TR6 I've ridden in. I'm happy with it!

My car has a decidedly different setup than stock, and this Addco rear bar is one piece of it. Since these things all go together to make them a complete system, I feel like I finally have a complete (or more complete than before) system.

Front suspension-
TSI competition springs (1 coil cut out of them)
Koni shocks on softest setting
Polyurethane bushings
Stock Antiroll Bar
1.6 degrees camber

Rear Suspension-
TSI competition springs (1 coil cut out of them)
Stock shocks with extremely heavyweight oil (heavier than 30wt, but don't know exactly)
Goodparts Adjustable camber mounts
Goodparts Nylatron Bushings
Addco Antiroll Bar
1.4 degrees camber

Falken 205-65R15 tires front/rear.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment