Saturday, September 1, 2012

OVERDRIVE!!!!!

In an earlier post, I mentioned working on the J Type Overdrive in my TR6. It was jumping in an out of overdrive rapidly, and without any circumstance (like a pothole) which would cause an electrical disconnection.

I topped up the oil in the gearbox/OD unit which was low. I also checked all the electrical connection, none of which were loose. Unfortunately, when I did the work, it was not driveable for other reasons, so I could not test it.

Well, late Friday night, I finally got it driveable again and I was able to find out if my fix worked --- Success. The fix worked very well. No popping in and out of overdrive repeatedly.

Interestingly enough, when I was in the process of making the fix, I talked to my father about it and he remembered that low oil in the transmission would cause just the problem I had back in the early 80's with his '74 TR6.

No comments:

Post a Comment