Sunday, February 19, 2012

Boxes At The Door....

Boxes at the door mean a busy weekend!

I'm currently in the middle of a bunch of repairs on the Six. As mentioned in the previous post, a smell of gasoline led to a huge list of fixes. The final task was/is installing a new gas tank in the car.

That task is near complete, but not quite yet.

This has also reminded me that that the trunk looks like hell.... Evidence of 3 different body colors during the car's life, as well as damage from the gas leak. Definitely a task for this summer. I need to get the paint straightened out and get the thing looking ok again.

However, the boxes at the door were for other tasks....

First up, while the car was on jackstands, I found that the clutch master cylinder was leaking. As soon as I found the leak, I drained the system and pulled the cylinders out of the car. The slave last got a kit put in it back in the late 90's, so it was due. I decided to replace the master cylinder outright. What I found was that the cap was trashed, the return spring was broken, seals worn out and the pushrod clevis pin holes were worn flat out! 

I would have rebuilt the master cylinder (have done it plenty of times before) but I found that the cost of the parts was near the cost of a new assembly, and the pushrod is no longer available by itself. I'll go ahead and rebuild the master when I find kits on sale at TRF, and keep it as a spare.


So a new master cylinder is now in the car, as well as a rebuilt slave cylinder.

While I had the Master and Slave Cylinder out of the car, I decided to change the oil and pull the oil filter canister. I wanted to paint up the canister and get it looking right. I stripped it and painted it up.



While I had it out, a friend on 6-Pack forums offered a modern oil filter adapter for the car at a price I could not pass up. So that filter adapter is on the way, but I'll wait to oil the car back up until it is here. Thanks Ken!

Oh yeah, one other detail.... I got a used Carbon Canister bracket from another 6-Pack member and plan to strip it, paint it and re-install it on the car as soon as possible. Thanks Steven!

So, its another week off the road, but she'll be so much better when done!

No comments:

Post a Comment