Monday, July 29, 2024

Hardtop for a TR6

 So, you're interested in a hardtop for your TR6? Read on - 

I wanted one for my car from the get-go. My father had one on his in the early 80's, and I wanted one for mine as well. We found one in the 6-Pack newsletter in the early 90's. I think we drove to Kentucky or Ohio to get it. My uncle slapped a coat of matching green paint on it and away I went. 

Later, I did a full, proper restoration of the top to match the car, with new headliner, seals and new paint. 

Why run a hardtop? The statement that it truly tightens up the car is completely true. I actually autocross my car with it installed. The handling does change. It also improves the interior quietness of the car by a degree that is hard to describe. If you're interested, I say go for it!

Buying one is hard. Don't buy a fully restored top. YOU WILL HAVE TO PAINT THE TOP TO MATCH YOUR CAR. This requires disassembly, likely some of the seals will have to be replaced, and possibly the headliner. Buy one that is straight, has all the glass with it (the rear window is unobtainium) and all the mounting hardware. 

There are a few how-to's on the web about how to restore the top, so I won't re-count that here. Earlier in my blog, I do show some of the work I did. I will highly suggest working with a good paint shop and shooting many test panels to get the paint color matched. The best option is to paint it when you paint your car - then it will all match. 

Take your time with the headliner. It will look great when its done!

Grease the bolts that go into the windshield header and tighten them gently. Its a good idea to chase the threads of the captured nuts with a tap prior to installing the headliner. 

Make a nice stand for your top. You will enjoy the results of being able to store it easily and safely. 



No comments:

Post a Comment